Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Nov 09/ 05

Well, it's official. Dogs have taken over my life. I made this realization last night as I stood there in my "Belgian Malinois" shirt (that I had just bought... geek) and drove lag bolts into the finished wall in the family room of my home. You see, it's getting close to winter here and I thought it would be nice to be able to work the dogs inside where it's not so cold and wet. So, out came the cordless, couple of bolts, and a big hook and within 3 minutes I had my very first "indoor training arena"!! (and I know what you're thinking, that's a pretty fancy name for a family room with a hook on the wall... but hey! It's my room and I can call it whatever the hell I want!)

Soooo, anyway. With my newly renamed family room up and running I posted the pups and did some prey development. It's nice inside too, I can crate the one that isn't working where they can see what's going on without worrying about the neighbors getting worked up about the barking. The "training" simply consisted of about 6-10 misses of the tug, followed by one bite. We'll have a short fight, I'll get him to re-grip, give it a yank kinda sideways and let him win it. Lots of praise. I repeat this 3-5 times depending on what else we've done that day. Repeat the procedure with Lucy.

We finished the night off with some positions and those seem to be coming along nicely. (thanks Chrystal/Susan)

Happy Training!

Grant

:P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home